November 11, 2009

Working on Green Tilt




At this early stage of the painting process, I focused on getting the drawing of the forms accurately, making sure that each line and shape is the direction and size that looks right. I use a ruler and a pencil to measure and draw outlines on the panel; I then paint up to those edges. Color and value can change the visual weight of a shape, so adding paint to the newly delineated shapes is the only way to see if the drawing is convincing. The egg tempera medium allows me to add translucent layers of color which will build a solid-looking surface.

This painting depicts a shallow space, nothing like the volume of Red Cone, but still a challenge to paint. I'm also finding it very interesting to work on a painting that has no direct sunlight and shadow, which are elements of almost all my previous work. In this piece, the color in itself has to hold light.

3 comments:

  1. This painting is clearly edible and must reflect your full absorbtion of the colors and textures of vegetables (hint from your soup photograph). Do you enjoy using a ruler however? Does it give satisfaction in itself, or is it only an ends to a means?
    Linda in LA

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny to think of this painting as edible, Linda. If you were a farmer, you'd know right away what this machine was because of its color. Each manufacturer has specific colors that it uses for its farm machinery: this is an Ag-Bagger; John Deeres are bright green and yellow; Fords are blue; International, red. etc.

    The ruler is just a tool for measure. It doesn't have pleasure in its use, as does a brush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I had no idea. It's a painting that may need a footnote! I was taken in by the diagonal green which I thought was a stalk with edges. Now I see uniformity and perhaps rust. An abstract still life of the inanimate, though of course rust is alive.
    Looking forward to other insights.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete