June 10, 2010

Berry

Berry, hand-dyed wool on linen, 10 x 10 inches


Here is Berry, with all its irregular geometry: corners pushing and pulling, circle wandering at edges, yellow "bell" curving. I like the color relationships (and for an odd reason, blogger has this post's images darker, rather than the usual lighter, than the original.) I wrote about the idea behind this image here.




This is a detail so you can see the color variations in the wool more clearly, as well as the hooking pattern. And below, because I know many readers like to see work in context, is the new ruglet hung on my kitchen wall along with my two most recent paintings. With a grouping like this, I am reminded how much my textile work has influenced my paintings.





4 comments:

  1. Your rug hooking has inspired me to give it a try... I'm taking a one day adult education class and have big dreams of making a bath mat! I have been enjoying your blog for a couple of months now, the rugs got me hooked ;-) but your little paintings have me facinated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its is interesting Altoon how one art form can influence another quite different one. I like very much seeing them in situ where possible as it demonstrates the size and impact and such so well.

    I have been shocked sometimes to see how detailed and strong some of your very small paintings are... and even though I can read the measurements I tend to not take that in... the visual is so clear.
    Interesting colours in your ruglet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forget how small the paintings are until you put them in context! the ruglet looks enormous! the yellow in 'berry' looks much like corn rows / full summer colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Claire, how nice to hear you've been enjoying the blog. And it's great to hear you're going to take a rug hooking class; I hope you love it. I find the process of hooking, doing the hand work, very relaxing and enjoyable. First a bath mat, then a bedroom rug!

    and Sophie and rappel, you are readers who I know appreciate seeing work in a setting where you can see scale more clearly. I wish I could whisk you up here for a physical studio visit, so you could hold the paintings in the palm of your hand.

    ReplyDelete