June 3, 2010

Pond Life



I feel very lucky to have a small pond in front of my house; its calm, reflective surface, a break in the bright greens of lawn and trees, welcomes quiet contemplation. Years ago I put a few koi in the pond and they spawned and proliferated; my six koi became thirty or more; I loved watching them floating across the expanse of water. Then, four years ago, tragedy: when the pond thawed in spring, only two koi appeared; a predator must have fed on the fish. I placed a few more koi in the pond, and this spring, new little fish! I feel like a proud mama, watching the ten or so tiny koi beginning their lives amid the water plants.




There are all kinds of insects that enliven the pond; when I sit by the edge of the water on a warm day, I see bugs skittering across its surface, many tiny ones circling above it, and largest of all, the dragonflies, buzzing about. The most beautiful are the small electric-blue flying sticks; to see a group of them flying, their intense color showing bright against the dark green water, is a wonder. Then there are the much larger black and white dragonflies, one with dark wings, the other with wings of fine tracery, looking like a city street map. Hummingbirds and dragonflies move in a similar fashion, with wildly beating wings that disappear in movement; they both hover, and are similarly friendly and curious. When I am rocking on my porch, a flower-seeking hummingbird will sometimes pause for a few moments facing me; I like to imagine it is trying to figure me out. In a similar way, while sitting quietly at the pond, waiting for a dragonfly to alight on a twig for a photograph, it might hover in front of me for a brief time. It's pleasant to think of these events as a kind of communication, however limited.

(As always, you can click on the images to enlarge them and see more detail, even those of you who receive blog posts via email.)




No comments:

Post a Comment