January 30, 2011

Potatoes and Onions: Two Recipes



The ordinary, lowly potato may be my favorite vegetable; it is delicious prepared in so many different ways and is always good for a last minute meal. And paired with onions they are heavenly. Of course I grow my own potatoes, and hard as it is to believe, the flavor of home grown is far superior to that of conventionally grown spuds. The variety you see above are my favorite, Carola, a yellow fleshed potato, good cooked in so many different ways. My favorite boiled potato is French Fingerling, and early potato Red Norland. I used Carolas for the two recipes that follow, though you can use any good potatoes for soup and a roasting potato for that recipe. They are both simple and easy to prepare, because those are the only recipes I tend to use. The previous potato recipes I've posted are Potato-Sorrel Soup, Kale and Potato Soup, and Potatoes and Arugula Soup; you can see I love soups.




Potage Parmentier (Leek or Onion and Potato Soup)

This recipe comes from Julia Child's French Chef Cookbook and is quick, easy, delicious and comforting.

3 to 4 cups peeled potatoes, sliced or diced
3 cups thinly sliced leeks or yellow onions (I use onions for this soup)
6 cups water (the recipe calls for 8 cups, but I like a thicker soup, so use more water for a thinner consistency)
1 Tb salt
1/3 cup heavy cream or 2-3 Tbs butter for final enrichment
2-3 Tbs minced parsley or chives for garnish

  1. Simmer the vegetables, water and salt together, partially covered for 40-50 minutes until vegetables are tender.
  2. Mash the vegetables in the soup pot or put through a food mill. I simply use a potato masher. Taste for seasoning.
  3. Remove from heat and add the cream or butter. I much prefer using cream.
  4. Garnish with herbs (as you can see, I have no herbs in the house, so go without, and that's fine.)
serves 6-8



Roasted Balsamic Potatoes and Onions

This wonderful roast potato recipe comes from Potatoes: A Country Garden Cookbook. I love the flavor that the balsamic vinegar gives the vegetables, and they come out of the oven looking so richly colored.

1/4 cup olive oil
2 lbs potatoes, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 lb onions, cut into 3/4 inch wedges
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs fresh thyme or 1 teas dried
1/2 teas salt or to taste
1/4 teas freshly ground pepper

  1. Preheat the oven to 400º F.
  2. Put potatoes and onions in a large pan, pour oil on them and toss to cover well.
  3. Roast for 30 minutes.
  4. Raise heat to 450º, add remaining ingredients and toss thoroughly. Continue to roast for an additional 30-40 minutes until vegetables are browned and potatoes crisp on the edges.
serves 4

6 comments:

  1. Perfect dishes for our weather forecast: Chilly with snowstorms on the way for the next few days. I could live on baked potatoes; can even forgo butter if they have a crisp skin! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome, Linda. Baked potatoes are great too, as are mashed, and with a poached egg on top, they're a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these both sound delightful Altoon, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you like the look of these recipes, Mona; I enjoy sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Altoon, these look lovely! I came visiting from Each Little World - glad I did.

    Barbara H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks, Barbara. I hope you visit often.

    ReplyDelete