November 2, 2012

A Walk in the Woods: Downed Branches with Small Gifts from Sandy



Hurricane Sandy spared Vermont, bringing us some high winds and rain, but nothing extraordinary, as opposed to the damage of Irene last year; but oh, I weep for my poor home town of New York, and the Jersey shore where I spent so many summers. I took a walk in the woods today and was stopped, entranced, by a group of small branches that had been knocked down by the wind. They were covered with all kinds of fungi which I rarely see close to the ground, such as these brilliant yellow and red button-like growths.




Even this black fungus looked marvelous; it might be  Black Jelly Roll, and is accompanied by a small curled gray creature.




This is definitely one of the strangest things I've seen in the woods: I believe some kind of fungus which is hard and a bit velvety. It looks alive, like it will slink away across the wood and fallen leaves.




There were small shelf mushrooms with the most gorgeous purple....




and richly brown spores.






I become most excited, though, by the purples; they are so lush and surprising and rare. It is wonderful to see such glorious life coming from the debris of small deaths.


✺ as with all my posts, if you click on the images, you'll see them enlarged; it's really worth doing. 


10 comments:

  1. Altoon I'm glad that Vermont was not badly hurt by the storm but know you must be wrenched by New York's tragedy. It's lovely that you have found some beauty out of the chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments, Blorgie and Nancy; I'm glad you liked these fungi. It was a treat for me to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is so inspiring! Thanks for these photos Altoon, they are exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the purple mushrooms with the bright green moss!
    Great post - super pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Altoon! I've been taking pictures of leaves on my power walks this season. I'm feeling like a kid again re-discovering these colorful beauties and how quickly they change from day to day this time of year. I can't wait to get out there every morning and see what's new. Nice to see your kindred discovery. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this, Shannon. I love walking with my camera; I feel it helps me to see more.

      Delete
  6. wow, beautiful! thanks for posting these, Altoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, you're very welcome, Ravenna. It was such a joy to find these.

      Delete